Tuesday, February 14, 2012

A Steep Rock Encounter with Ann and Mark


Marty's Cafe in Washington, CT will host the newly named "Steep Rock, Etc." show from December 1 through 31, 2012. It's a great venue, convenient to all Steep Rock's holdings. The cafe is a cozy place to relax, with delicious food and coffee.
A portion of the show's proceeds will go to the land trust, specifically for trail maintenance.


A chance Steep Rock encounter with Ann Leary and her horse "Mark" re-kindled my interest in painting animals and figures, so there will be assorted subjects in my benefit show.

How did I meet Ann? Lil and I were walking near the river one bleak October day, when a jaunty gray horse came striding through the shadows, his head and mane periodically catching light. I made a mental note and mashed my camera's shutter button, to save the impression.

I like to have permission to use someone's image for a painting, and introduced myself to the rider--Ann-- for that purpose. We had a brief chat, and discovered a number of common interests. The painting says more about Mark than his owner, since the light was ghastly and I had to invent almost everything, but it was his expression that drew me in. A posed situation wouldn't have been the same.

A side benefit of this meeting was discovering "Hash Hags," the NPR show Ann co-hosts with Julie Klam and Laura Zigman. It goes great with my painting sessions.

Of course, the horse is now out of the barn, resulting in an equine series. Steep Rock lanscapes may hang with dogs and ponies in this show.

2 comments:

Arliss said...

I love your work and am so glad to have the chance to follow along as you work on this great project. (And I'm delighted to learn that some dogs and ponies will be included!)

I love this painting of Ann and the wonderful Mark! So much fun to read your comments about the encounter and this lovely scene. Love the lighting!

Carol said...

Arliss, glad you like it. Mark is such a jolly fellow, and a fine ambassador for the equine species.

A lot of people want to see more animal (and kid) paintings. I enjoy doing them, so why not? The combination of subjects for this show should be fun do do.