Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Autumn into Winter

Today's snow is a reminder--as if I needed one--that the first day of winter is approaching. Since I crave light, short days are not my favorite thing, but the QUALITY of light is beautiful, and I rejoice in that.

I'm glad that the rest of humankind feels the need to celebrate light, birth, and symbols of lasting life at this time of year. At least I have plenty of company! Besides, after December 21, the days will be getting longer again.

One Evening in Autumn, 11 x 14, Oil on linen

In the first image, I tried to capture the stillness and ruddy smudges of last light in autumn. There happened to be evergreen trees, partially defoliated oak saplings, and totally bare trees, which suggest an underlying message. The bright  moon and star on that colored sky literally made me paint the picture.

Silos and Willows, 20 x 16, Oil on linen
Previously shown in the Roxbury Barn Stories show

The second painting is a longtime favorite subject: Toplands Farm in Roxbury, CT. I've painted en "plein air" at the farm countless times, although on this cold day, I took a lot of mental notes while walking around, snapped a bunch of photos and retreated to the warm studio to do a block in while the information was fresh.

No comments: